Monday 5 December 2016

Reflection for Technical Communication

I have improved a lot since the first lesson of this module. What I think is the most important thing of this module is the process of learning. I did not go through the lessons just passing twenty hours of my time, but to learn the skills that can further be used in my work life in the future. Through learning these skills, they made me more confident to present my own innovated product.

Teamwork is very important when it comes to submitting my part of the report. I feel that submitting late or the wrong information might affect the team and I want to do my part by making sure that I have done my job well. I have very bad time management but this module shows me how we should actually work on our time management. I have been improving and now I feel like I am not rushing or even submitting late reports. I feel satisfied with what I have done.

During the past few lessons, I was grouped with people who I was not familiar with but they were very friendly and patient with me. The first project with my groupmates, Ian and Syafiq, was a smooth and forwarding process. They knew what they were doing and could actually thought of an idea straight away. I was worried because I could not fully understand the product, but they spent time explaining to me and shared their ideas with me.

While working with my other team, it is also a good experience to me. We all had our strengths and weaknesses. Telson was good at knowing the objective of the report and Jie Lin shared good ideas with us so that we can further improve our report. This is what teamwork is all about. With this team spirit, we are able to excel much more.

I think in order to be able to understand what we have to do for the next lesson, we must be very attentive, and this is because you will never know the part that you missed is actually crucial. Professor Brad will always share stories about his life and I think they are very interesting because I will always feel motivated and inspired to learn English deeper.

I have worked in different kinds of part-time jobs including food and beverages, retail, ride operators and sales associate. These jobs provided me with different experiences. One in common is the requirement of customer services. I think I am able to speak better to my customers because I have learn from brad on how we should speak with confidence.

This module have improved my presenting skills and I am more confident now to stand in front of everyone and speak out. It has been a phobia to me to stand on a stage and speak. In my future job, I foresee that it requires communication skills and I am glad that I have overcome my fears now. I am prepared for the working world.


Lastly, I would like to thank brad for teaching me the skills that are necessary not only in the future but present. He tried to make this 20 hours a smoothing and educational journey and he succeeded. He is truly an inspiration to me. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Marilyn, for this comprehensive reflection. I'm happy to know that you found so much positive in the tasks you did in TLM1010, especially as you describe the various experiences you had in the teams you worked with. It's nice to know that you benefited from each of the teams, though in different ways.

    I'm also happy to hear that you were inspired by the module. I hope that carries over to your future study experience.

    For my part, I really appreciate all your contributions this term, in particular, as you worked hard to give your classmates useful feedback on their presentations. (It was great to see you evolving into a more conscientious student. :) )

    All the best, Marilyn, as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marilyn

    This a well written reflection. It is very heartwarming to know that you have managed to come out of your phobia and even did a presentation to the class very well thanks to this module. I have also enjoyed working with you in our very first group assignment.

    I look forward to working with you again.

    Yours truly
    Ian Tan

    ReplyDelete